Have you looked at BMS drivers? I have a similar setup and am quite happy with the BMS 4538 on a small tractrix taking over at 6-8K. Crossing over lower I didn't like them too much but as pure tweeters I think they're really very good and hard to beat. From the Altec family, IMO the 902's are the only driver suited for tweeter duties, but they do have the typical aluminum breakup at their top end. I find the BMS smoother and more extended. But that's only for tweeter use, in a two way I much prefer the Altecs.
The 18sound NSD1095N is supposed to have a great top-end with its treated diaphragm, but I have not heard it in person.
For the 288's I'd go with Alu. I've recently heard both Alu and Pascalites on 288K's on small Multicells (forgot what model) at a friend and for me the Pascalites don't have the 'snap' (for lack of a better word) that I like about Altec Drivers. But then my friend preferred the pascalites giving a smoother performance, so as usual it's all a matter of taste. Plus I don't know if there would be an audible difference when you take them out at 6K anyway. Personally I'd go with Pascalite only if a) your system sounds harsh to you or b) you really need the power capability.




Bookmarks